Dr. Karen Kelly-Blake is an Associate Professor whose research interests include health services, shared decision-making, clinical communication skills and training, men’s health, health equity, medical workforce policy, and medical education faculty development. She is a medical anthropologist and MSU alumna. Dr. Kelly-Blake is also a CHM Shared Discovery Faculty Fellow.
Jimbo M, Sen A, Plegue M, Hawley S, Kelly-Blake K, Rapai M, Zhang M, Zhang Y, Ruffin IV M. Correlates of patient intent and preference on colorectal cancer screening. American Journal of Preventive Medicine. Available online 3 February 2017. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.amepre.2016.11.026
Olomu A, Hart-Davidson W,Luo Z, Kelly-Blake K, Holmes-Rovner M. Implementing Shared Decision Making in Federally Qualified Health Centers: The Office-Guidelines Applied to Practice (Office-GAP) Program. BMC Health Services Research. 2016;16(1):1-12. http://dx.doi.org/10.1186/s12913-016-1603-3
Kelly-Blake K, Olomu A, Dwamena F, Dontje K, Henry R, Rovner D, Rothert ML, Holmes-Rovner M. Development of a communication skills based workshop for Shared Decision-Making (SDM). European Journal for Person Centered Healthcare. Dec 2015;3(4):529-542.
More Items on the Web
- Patient dumping: why are patients disposable?
- Incarcerated AND Sick: At Risk for Pain, Injury, and Death
- White Horse, White Faces: The Decriminalization of Heroin Addiction
- Racism and the Public's Health: Whose Lives Matter?
- Concussion in the NFL: A Case for Shared Decision-Making?
- Overdosing on Prescription Painkillers: Dying for Pain Relief?
- Podcast: Activating and Empowering Patients: Hart-Davidson, Kelly-Blake, and Olomu – Episode 15
- Podcast: Medical Workforce Diversity and the Professional Entry Tax: Bogdan-Lovis and Kelly-Blake - Episode 6
- Webinar: Covert Costs of Racial and Ethnic Concordance in the Medical Workforce
- Webinar: Shared Decision-Making: The Gold Standard in Patient-Centered Care, But is it Achievable?
Kelly-Blake K, Clark S, Dontje K, Olomu A, Henry RC, Rovner DR, Rothert ML, Holmes-Rovner, M. Refining a brief decision aid in stable CAD: cognitive interviews. BMC Medical Informatics and Decision Making. ePub Feb 2014;14(10).
Jimbo M, Rana GK, Hawley S, Holmes-Rovner M, Kelly-Blake K, Nease DE Jr, Ruffin MT 4th. What is lacking in current decision aids on cancer screening? CA: A Cancer Journal for Clinicians, 2013 May; 63(3): 193–214.
McCaffery K, Sheridan S, Nutbeam D, Clayman M, Kelly-Blake K, Holmes-Rovner M, Rovner D, Smith S, Wolf M. Chapter J: Addressing Health Literacy. In: Volk R, Llewellyn-Thomas H, eds. 2012 Update of the International Patient Decision Aids Standards (IPDAS) Collaboration’s Background Document. 2012. http://ipdas.ohri.ca/resources.html.
Dontje K, Kelly-Blake K, Olomu A, et al. Nurse-led Group Visits Support Shared Decision-Making in Stable Coronary Artery Disease. Journal of Cardiovascular Nursing. 2012.
Holmes-Rovner M, Kelly-Blake K, Dwamena F, et al. Shared Decision Making Guidance Reminders in Practice (SDM-GRIP). Patient Education and Counseling. 2011: 85(2): 214-24.
Pylar J, Wills C, Lillie J, Rovner D, Kelly-Blake K, Holmes-Rovner M. Men's Interpretations of Graphical iformation in a Videotape Decision Aid. Health Expect. 2007;10(2):184-93.
Selected Achievements and Awards
Member, Academy Health
Member, American Society for Bioethics and Humanities
Member, American Anthropological Association
Member, American Public Health Association